Thursday, February 25, 2010

Our newest blessing

I can’t believe that it has been almost three weeks since we welcomed Philip into our family. There is so much I want to post but finding time to get on the computer with a newborn and 2 year old has been challenging.

Right now, Philip is asleep upstairs and Jackson is completely mesmerized by the Imagination Movers so I thought I would take some time to recap the story of Philip’s arrival and post some pictures of our newest blessing!

Here's the fun and exciting timeline of Philip’s birth.

Sunday, February 7 (2 days past my due date)

9:00 am: I woke up feeling great and we all headed to church.

9:30 am - 12:00 pm: I guess a 40+ week pregnant lady shouldn’t be at church because we were confronted with “Are you ever going to have that baby?” from everyone at the building.

12:30 pm: Head to Publix to pick up a paper and a few items for lunch.

2:30 pm: After lunch, we put Jackson down for his nap and since I had nothing else to do, I decided to take a nap as well.

4:00 pm: My sister Emily called to check in. The phone woke me up so I decided to get ready for the Super Bowl party we were heading to at 6:00.

4:21 pm: I felt the first contraction! YEAH!! I told Wesley and he started recording.

4:26 pm: Contraction #2
4:31 pm: Contraction #3
4:34 pm: Contraction #4
4:35 pm: Contraction #5

Humm…these contractions were coming much faster and with more pain than I remembered from when I was pregnant with Jackson.

At this point, Wesley stopped recording the contractions and told me I needed to call the doctor. I explained to him that I was told not to call until my contractions were coming for an hour. It had only been 14 minutes! But after a few more minutes filled with frequent, intense contractions, I realized we didn’t have an hour to wait. It was time to call the doctor!! The doctor’s advice: come on in!

So, 40 minutes after our first contraction, we were in the car and on our way!

5:30 pm: We dropped Jackson off at Tucker’s house – he was so excited about his first sleep over!

After leaving the Howards, we headed for GA 400. The usual drive to the hospital is about 45 minutes. Wesley made it in 30. All the way down the highway, my contractions continued to come every 1 to 2 minutes and were getting stronger. This baby was coming…soon!

6:00 pm: We finally made it to the hospital! We head to the registration desk where they start asking us the standard admissions questions. I just look at the nice lady and yelled, “I need some medicine... now!!!!”

Sensing that I was not joking, they stop asking the questions and directed me to a Labor and Delivery Room. Once in the room, a nurse checked me and I was at 7 centimeters. They started my IV so I would be ready for an epidural once my blood work came back.

Now, we just had to wait and endure the increasing pain that was coming from the contractions. The midwife who would be delivering Philip said that once I was comfortable from the epidural she would break my water and we would have a baby. Not much longer now!!!

Well, Philip had other plans. He didn’t want to wait!

As soon as everyone left the room and Wesley and I were alone, I felt the urge to push. Wesley ran out to get some help and within minutes, everything was set up for delivery.

Needless to say, there was no time for that epidural -bless the nurse’s heart who had to break that news to me! I continued to yell my way through the delivery -contrary to what some say, screaming actually does help with the pain!- and in no time, Philip was here.

7:01 pm: - One hour and one minute after we arrived at the hospital, we had a baby! I couldn’t believe it! It all happened so fast – labor only started 2 ½ hours ago!!!

They quickly whisked Philip away to the transition nursery to check out his breathing. It is not a great thing for a baby to come out that quickly. Wesley went with him so within an hour of delivery; I was alone in the room. With nothing to do, I turned on the Super Bowl and watched the second quarter!

I couldn’t believe I was in the hospital watching the Super Bowl AFTER Philip had been born! It was surreal!

Soon, Wesley returned to the room to give me a status on Philip. He was doing much better and just had to be monitored for the next few hours. We settled into our postpartum room and waited.

1:00 am: They brought Philip in and we were able to enjoy some time with our new little guy.

What a whirlwind night! – 8 ½ hours after my first contraction and we were holding our 6 hour old baby boy. God is good and we were so blessed to have a safe yet crazy delivery of our little Philip!


All's good!!
Here I am after delivery. Though the pain was intense, as soon as Philip came out, the pain instantly went away. I hadn't felt so good in 9 months!!!

A very happy Mommy giving Philip his first meal.
A proud Dad holding Philip for the first time.

Our happy family of four

We caught him with his eyes open!

Heading home!

Philip James
is ready to head home!

3 comments:

  1. congratulations! i'm so glad it went well. he's precious! it makes me want another!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Leanne, I always love reading your posts! I cannot believe how fast he came! And you did it without meds! Wow! Can't wait to chat with you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that was a great story! Glad everything went well. He's adorable. Congratulations!! Susan (Qualls) Harris :)

    ReplyDelete