Sunday, November 22, 2009

I cooked a turkey!

Well, it’s official – I have now cooked my first turkey. Our group of friends from church got together tonight for a Thanksgiving dinner and I was in charge of the ham and turkey. I purchased a cooked ham from Publix but decided to tackle the turkey myself.

I defrosted the turkey yesterday and was hoping that Wesley and I would be able to cook it together after church. Evidently I didn’t share that plan with Wesley and he was gone all afternoon for work.

I put Jackson down for a nap and went to work. It wasn’t as hard to prepare the bird for the oven as I thought. My biggest concern was not cooking it all the way through so I set the oven for the max time and waited…actually, I feel asleep for a Sunday afternoon nap.

I awoke when the buzzer went off and the house smelled so good. I popped the thermometer in and it was done. The hardest part was getting the turkey from the pan to the rack to cool. I felt sure it was going to fall on the floor but it didn’t. I stole a taste and it tasted pretty good. YEAH!!

Since I needed to say I had cooked a turkey, I felt as though Wesley needed to say he had carved one. Once he got home, I put him to work. He did a great job of getting every last bite off the bird.

I believe our first turkey experience was a success!


One defrosted turkey ready to go!
I really didn't have a recipe. I figured I had seen enough Food Network Thanksgiving Specials to wing it! Good thing it worked out!

2 1/2 hours later the bird was done!

Wesley got every last bite off the turkey


Our platter of turkey

No comments:

Post a Comment