Monday, March 14, 2011

Jackson and Philip go to Shannon's!

Once we found out that I would be able to go with Wesley to Chicago for his business trip we asked my folks if they could watch the boys. It would work out perfectly for us to drop them off and fly out of Nashville. Things were looking great until Benjamin made his surprise appearance and my mom needed to be with Susan.

I was about to back out of the trip when Shannon agreed to watch the boys for us! She had been planning a girls week with Macey and Lynne, but they all agreed that Jackson and Philip could join the fun. Have I mentioned how BLESSED I am to be a part of the Bender family!

I asked Lynne to tell me some things from the week in North Carolina and here's what she said:

From March, 2011, at Shannon and Ron's home in NC:

  • After we picked up J and P from Wes, we were driving back to Shannon's on I-85 and I told Jackson to watch for a giant peach (water tower at Gaffney, SC), which completely intrigued him. Soon we saw it, and he loved it, and following that he created a whole story about a giant "punkin" we'd see soon, and it would become a hot air balloon, which Flash always barks at! We heard a wonderful description of the "punkin" while Jackson also began the planning for a big party at Aunt Shannon's house, and who would be invited. He entertained us the rest of the way with his lively imagination!
  • Soon after we arrived at Shannon's, we walked with J and P to the corner where Cole's bus arrives after school, with Jackson excitedly anticipating the big yellow bus AND Cole. We were turning our backs against the wind, even though it was sunny out, and Jackson said, "But God made the wind!"
  • The first night, after Jackson's bath, I sat in bed with him to say prayers. After my prayer, I asked Jackson to say one, and he immediately said, "Dear God, please show me your will for my life." (WOW!) I told Jackson that was a beautiful prayer, and he said, "Oh, my da-da taught me that. . . "
  • About 3 days into the visit, Jackson had shown great interest in the Johnstons' dog, Cali, who had just been clipped and looked very different from her former fluffy self. Jackson even slept with her (and Shannon) each night. When Wes called on Day 3, Jackson started his conversation with, "Daddy, Cali is not the real Cali!!" He had never said that to us! He must have really thought it was a different dog than the one he had known back in January.
  • Starting the first night, Shannon introduced bath time with: "Let's go scrub-a-dub-dub the DRUBBY!" Then we'd place both boys in the large bathtub in the master bathroom. The second day, just before supper, Shannon announced, "After supper, we'll scrub-a-dub-dub the DRUBBY!" Jackson said, "AGAIN??!!" We bathed them every night for 5 nights!
  • One night after Philip was already asleep, we gave Jackson new coloring books and crayons and sat at the dining table with him to color (Macey was doing her homework). Jackson colored a short while and then reached over and marked on the table with his crayon. Shannon told him NOT to mark on the table. Jackson did it again, and Shannon spoke clearly to him AGAIN. Then, Jackson reached over to color on the table the third time, and it did not make a mark, but I put the crayons away and took Jackson to bed, with him wailing, "But it did not make a mark!!" I explained to J that was not the point - he did not mind and must go to bed. At that point, I laid down with him and told him 2 Bible stories (Joseph and the multi-colored coat and Noah and the Ark). Jackson listened intently, and when I was finished, he sat up and said, "I have a book on that at my house, and I'm going to bring it to your house and read it with you, but I tell you what I'm NOT going to do - I'm NOT going to color on YOUR table!!"
  • One morning Jackson woke up about 5:30 a.m., and Shannon told him to lay quietly in the bed and try to go back to sleep. Jackson began singing, "The sun'll come out TOMORROW! TOMORROW! TOMORROW! I Love 'ya, TOMORROW. . . . " Shannon said it's a good thing that Jackson is cute.
  • I don't have a saying from Jackson's playtime, which was consumed with all of Cole's matchbox cars and trucks. I will say, though, that every place those cars/trucks/rescue vehicles went was in and around DisneyWorld. We took them to each of the 4 parks, before and after "work" - those cars saw all of the parades and went to all of the restaurants and even rode some of the rides - what fun!!
  • Also, after 2+ days of cold rain and cloudy conditions, and staying inside (in pajamas), on Day 3, we loaded up the double stroller and headed for the mall - we ate at Chick-fil-a and let the boys play at an indoor mall playground. The next day (Saturday - with Macey with us) we took the double stroller to the park, along with bubble-blowing guns and snacks. It was sunny, chilly, and wonderful to be outside! Also, on 2 different afternoons we strolled them in Shannon's neighborhood.
  • Philip was sweet, loving, and managed to cut 3 new teeth while we had him! He took great naps and slept through every night except one. He LOVES Cali and he LOVES to eat! Especially cheese pizza!
  • Shannon cooked like a machine - she kept the kitchen going and the washing machine chugging as she did all of the laundry, too, while driving Macey back and forth to school, making runs to the grocery store, etc. Her energy inspired me!

Memories are made of this - Love, Lynne

No comments:

Post a Comment