Wednesday, August 29, 2012

The case of the missing Lego

When I thought of becoming a mother, I thought of the kisses, smiles, love. I never imagined some of the real life issues, I would face. Here's an example...

I was taking a nap this afternoon when Jackson came in and woke me up with these words "Mommy, I have a Lego in my nose!" 

Now, this was alarming for two reasons:
1. I didn't know what to do with a foreign object in Jackson's nose.

2. It was Jackson. Of my two kids, he is NOT the one I ever thought would put anything up his nose. It  goes against his personality! I would have believed it more if he had said, "Mommy, I put a lego up Philip's nose." But it was unusual that he attempted this feat on himself!

Anyways, I called the doctor and made an appointment to get it removed. I was a little worried about the Lego because not only was it stuck, it had caused his nose to start bleeding...oh, and the fact that the nurse's first question when I told her what was going on was "Can he still breathe?" I hadn't thought about blocked airways with a Lego, but I was thinking it now!

We got the doctor and the Lego was too high for them to remove. We had to head to the Children's Hospital Health Care down the road and have them remove it. Thankfully, Wesley was close by and came to distract Philip. I was able to be back there when they removed the piece. The actual removing did not bother him but the bright light they had to shine in his face did disturb him. 

The funniest part of the entire incident was when they showed him the Lego after it was removed and he replied, "Nope, that's not it. That's not the one I put up there!" 

The doctor did a double take and looked back in his nose to make sure there wasn't another one. There wasn't so we had to explain to Jackson that though it didn't look like the one he stuck up there, it was in fact, the missing Lego.

Now, every time he asks to play Legos at rest, I say, "You can, but what do we not do with Legos at rest?"

His reply "Put them up my nose!"

Jackson and Patches waiting on the doctor to remove the Lego

No comments:

Post a Comment