Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Bed Time and Baby Jesus

Wesley volunteered to work late tonight and help out the local YMCA branch. Since taking his new position, he has had very few late nights since he no longer is bound by the branch schedule. It is rare that Jackson and I have nights alone. Tonight, we played, read, ordered a pizza, and enjoyed our night in. Around 7:30, I could tell Jackson was getting tired so we started his nightly routine minus one thing -Daddy!

Ever since Day 1, Wesley has been in charge of BBB (Bath, Bottle, Bed). From 8 weeks on, Jackson has gone to bed at 8:00ish, and it has always been with a routine: Daddy takes him up for his bath (I always hear laughter coming from the bathroom!). Then, they go into Jackson's room to watch Jackson's train (Wesley built a train track around the top of Jackson's room so he turns it on for Jackson while he puts his jammies on). Up until month 15, Wesley gave him his last bottle of the night, and then would tuck him into bed.

BBB with Daddy and Jackson (4 months)


Sometimes, I have to go in there and stop the fun. They truly could play together all night long, but usually, after a few stories, Jackson is off to sleep.

So..needless to say, when Mommy tries bedtime, it is not as fun! You can almost see it in Jackson's little face, "Oh, it's you tonight? Great :("

I didn't do the bath right. As I was getting him out of the bathtub, he cried and started pointing from his mouth to the water...guess who always blows bubbles for Jackson in the tub? Dad. Guess who forgot? Mom!

I am too short to turn on Jackson's train so he had to get ready for bed with just me signing to him. He wasn't impressed! But I loved every minute. 

As I was rocking him for a few minutes before putting him to sleep, I decided to tell him the Christmas Story. It was the first time I have ever told it to him. I went through how Mary and Joseph went looking for room at the inn; how they couldn't find any room so they had to settle for the stable and how Baby Jesus was born and placed in a Manager. 

Finally, I looked into his eyes and told him that Jesus came into the world with nothing, left with nothing, but what he gave was the greatest gift of all, eternal life. I told him Jesus loved him very much and then I just started crying.  What a beautiful story that I have heard millions of times and told millions of times. And a story that will never be the same now that I have shared it with my son. 

I am glad Wesley has the special nightly bond with Jackson. Tonight though, I am thankful I was able to be with him and share the beautiful story of Christmas. 

No comments:

Post a Comment