Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Jackson goes to school

Jackson on his way to school!

As mentioned in the earlier post, while we were in Arlington, Jackson went to school with Micah and Jonah. When I first had the idea to ask Cristal if he could tag along for the day, I thought it would be so much fun for both of us. He would get to play with kids his age, and I would get some girl-time with Cristal. At the end of the day, that is what happened. He had fun. I had fun. But it was a little more involved than I first imagined.

To start with, Wednesday night when we got home from church and finished getting the boys in bed, Cristal announced that we should get everything ready for the morning. I am not one to plan ahead like that, but said “Sure! Why not?”

First we packed lunches - a task that in and of itself is more complex than one might think. I had to pack Jackson food he could eat by himself so I made him a PB& J sandwich, cheerios, yogurt bites, goldfish, and a piece of cheese. I know, it sounds like a weird combination, but I had to think of things I knew he would eat and food that he could eat by himself. That’s asking a lot for a picky eater like Jackson. After the food, we had to pack a napkin, wet wipe, and two cups of milk/water.

After the lunches were packed, we had to get the bags packed: two diapers (labeled with his name), a complete change of clothes, and all his "sleeping toys" which for Jackson is a passy, blanket and stuffed Flash. Then Wesley had to fill out the Emergency Contact paperwork; we had to print out his shot record; and have it all ready so we could leave the house at 9:00 a.m.

Way to go Cristal for thinking ahead!

Thursday morning, I got a little emotional thinking about Jackson being gone from me for an entire day - 9:30 - 2:30. All sorts of fears started running through my head - what if he cries, what if he can't sleep, what if no one plays with him? Luckily, Micah would be in the same class as Jackson so I at least knew he would have a friend!

We got Jackson ready in his school clothes and took a family picture on Jackson's first day of school!


Jonah, Jackson and Micah ready for school

Once we got to the school, I was feeling better about everything because I realized that Cristal and I were in for some fun! Once the boys were dropped off, we could do anything! We went by Jonah's room first and he ran in. He loves school!

Then we went to Jackson's room. Cristal dropped Micah off first and out of the blue, he started crying! Oh no! Jackson took one look at Micah crying and realized he was next to go across the door into the "room!" He broke down, and I reluctantly handed a teary-eyed little boy over to two strangers.

By then, Cristal had eased away from the door, and I joined her in the hallway. I could still hear Jackson crying. Cristal gave me a reassuring smile and said he would be okay. All first time kids go through this! She took my camera and captured this picture of Jackson sitting in the teacher's lap. It was reassuring to leave knowing that he was at least going to be loved on!


The 5 hours went by quicker than ever! Why is it that 5 hours drags on when you are home alone with a baby but goes so fast when you are out with friends??? Anyways, we went shopping, ate at Pei Wei, and just talked. Though I hated for our time to end, when we pulled up at the school, I was ready to see Jackson.

After picking up Jonah, we headed to get the little ones. I saw Jackson's room up ahead and could see into a window. I caught Jackson’s eye, and he ran towards the window. I don't know whose smile was bigger his or mine! The teachers said he did great. They said he had trouble napping - nothing new! - but other than that, he was all good. They give each of the kids a report card at the end of the day.

Jackson’s said he was "Friendly, Busy, and Curious" What a great description of my little boy!

Though I am not ready for him to grow up and start going to school regularly, I think it was good for both of us. We both learned that we can survive without each other for a day. I’m sure the next time he goes to preschool will be just as hard, but at least we have the real “first” day under our belts!

No comments:

Post a Comment