Monday, November 5, 2012

My "new" desk!

I have been searching for a desk to go in our family room. I wanted a writing desk that could store my stuff but also be closed off when people came to visit. 

I found one at Ikea but it was expensive and looked too new. I wanted one that had a personality and added a little something to our home.

Emily had seen a few at the Nashville Flea Market so when Cumming's Flea Market came around, I went and found one I liked. The only hiccup was it was the wrong color. I decided that didn't matter and I could make it look perfect.
Original Desk

Wesley helped me sand it down and then I researched how to distress wood. Using paint we had on hand, I painted the desk the perfect shade of blue with some brown distressed highlights. I love the way it turned out and I am proud of myself for my first furniture make-over project!

Finished Project!

Here are some pictures of the desk as I worked on it. The entire project took maybe 2 hours (plus drying time). It was so much easier than I thought it would be!
After Wesley sanded the desk, I painted it with a diluted brown paint. (50% paint/50% water)


After the brown coat was dry, I lightly painted over the brown with diluted (again 50/50) blue. 
All that's missing is the hardware. Finding the perfect knobs/handle took a few trips to the store


Yay! I love the way it turned out! 

1 comment:

  1. I love it, too. I'm quite impressed with your skilz.
    Lori

    ReplyDelete