Saturday, January 1, 2011

Pennies from Heaven

As I was entering the hospital Wednesday afternoon, I stumbled upon a penny. I am usually not one to grab the extra cent, but I reached down and put it in my pocket.

Over the next few hours, I found 2 more.

Once we had settled Mimi in at Alive Hospice, I unloaded my pockets and put the three pennies on the table. As we were cleaning things up after Mimi’s death, I saw the pennies sitting there and contemplated throwing them away. Really, what good is 3 cents?

I couldn’t bring my self to toss them so I stashed the three shiny coins in my pocket.

Later that evening, Dad and Ryan returned to Alive Hospice to meet up with Emily, Susan and me. Dad wanted to share a story of what had happened moments ago at the gas station. As he was filing his tank, he noticed a shiny penny behind the rear wheel of his car. He pulled it out of his pocket and showed it to us.

“Wow, Dad! A whole penny!” We didn’t understand the significance. Then he shared an old saying…

So, don’t pass by that penny,

When you’re feeling blue.

It may be a penny from heaven,

that an Angel’s tossed to you

--– Charles Marshburn

Was it a penny our new Angel, Mimi, had tossed to him? As we talked, I remembered the coins nestled in my pocket. I slowly took them out. Susan, Emily, and I looked at each other. Three pennies for Mimi’s three angels.

Maybe it was nothing. Maybe just three cents dropped along the way, but Susan, Emily, and I like to believe they were tossed to us from above.

No comments:

Post a Comment