Saturday, June 12, 2010

How does your garden grow?

I have attempted to produce a small garden for four years now. The first year, we hit the jackpot and had a bounty of delicious tomatoes. Guess it was beginners luck because the following two years produced nothing but dead plants and disease.

This year, I took a different approach to gardening and instead of planting in containers, I went in the ground. We cleared out a small flowerbed due to dying shrubs and decided that instead of purchasing new bushes, we would plant my garden here.

In April, all four of us traveled to Home Depot to pick up plants. I knew I wanted to try tomatoes and some herbs. Wesley wanted to try peppers, and we let Jackson pick out a squash plant.

We came home late, but went ahead and put all the plants in the ground. I think we were all out there until 9:30! Towards the end, Jackson and I were shinning the flashlight for Wesley as he finished up the fence (we had to put up a fence because of the local rabbit!)

So far, we have had great success with most of the plants. The only things that haven't worked were three seeds I tried my luck with - Dill, Tarragon, and Chives. The Cilantro seeds took root, but the others didn't produce anything. All the starter plants we put in the ground, have done great.

Thursday night we enjoyed the first of our harvest - a little banana pepper on our salad.

We are hoping to enjoy some squash here soon and then tomatoes come July!

Here was the garden mid-May:

And here it is today!
Jackson by his squash

Truthfully, I know very little about gardening. We are excited that his squash plant has gotten so big, but have no idea if that's a good thing or not! Looks pretty though, and Jackson is proud!

Pepper Plant

Squash Plant - We were not expecting the beautiful yellow flowers to bloom but that seems to be a good thing because we do have some vegetables on the plant.
Tomato plant
Rosemary
Basil - This plant has thrived in our garden! Only bad thing, is I don't know what to do with it all! If anyone has a nice recipe that uses basil, please let me know!!!

Cilantro

2 comments:

  1. what a beautiful garden!!! way to go!!!

    abby

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that Jackson is standing outside in his pjs and tennis shoes. That's great!!

    ReplyDelete