Monday, September 5, 2011

Dinner Guests



Tonight we had dinner with four young men who are currently serving in our area as Mormon missionaries.

Several months ago, while talking to a friend, I learned that most boys in the Mormon faith take part in a Mission. Around the age of 19, they commit to two years of service somewhere in the world. 

For two years, they give up most everything “of this world” and devote their time to spreading their faith. My friend, Lisa, told me that they even give up talking to their family on a regular basis. They can e-mail or write letters, but only twice a year (Christmas and Mother’s Day) can they call home.

I knew the next time I saw one of these young men, I would invite them over and feed them. I just thought if my boys were away from me for two years, I would hope someone would feed them for me!

Well…while we were at the doctor for Philip’s 18-month appointment, I ran into three Missionaries. They were waiting to be seen by the doctor so I gave them my address and asked them to come by. And they did!

Two of these young men dropped by one morning and I invited them in for lunch. Jackson loved it! I did too. I enjoyed hearing about where they came from (California) & what they were experiencing. They told me about their mission and faith and I shared with them what I believe as well. Turns out we have a lot in common.

After lunch, they were on their way, and I said to call if they ever wanted to come over for dinner. They called a few weeks later, and we set a date.

The missionaries travel in pairs, and in our area, two pairs live together in a local apartment. All four of the young men came over tonight for dinner, and we had a great time.

Wesley and I enjoyed getting to know them and were amazed at their commitment to their faith. Not many young teenagers would give up 2 “prime” years to go spread the Word.

It was a great experience and I am so glad we had them over. I know they are taken care of by their church members, but if I ever run into their Mommas I want them to know someone else was looking after their babies too!

No comments:

Post a Comment