Monday, February 2, 2009

The Not-So-Me Weekend

Take a look at my post below. Do you see anywhere in that list of 25 Things About Me the words "Spontaneous" "Off the Cuff" "Drop Everything and Change Plans in a Matter of Seconds"? Of course, not! That's not me! But for some reason, this weekend that's exactly what I did.

It all goes back to 4:05 p.m. on Friday. Wesley was preparing to leave for a weekend YMCA ski trip. Weeks ago, Wesley's dad, brother (and son) and sister (and family) had decided to tag along and enjoy some skiing as well. Wesley was on the phone with our brother-in-law, Ron, when I overheard Wesley say "Great! So the place we are staying is awesome! I can't wait to get there."

Hearing that this place Wesley was going was nice, I started thinking...hum? Why again did I decide not to jump on this trip? I would love to see Wesley's family, would enjoy not being alone over the weekend, and I wondered, "Think he has room for two more?"

After he got off the phone, I yelled downstairs, "Hey! Do you have any room in the van for two extra passengers?" Wesley just looked at me and said "Do you want to go? How cool! Let me think!"

He mentally took count and said, "No, I only have room for one, but if someone cancels, why don't you come along?" Wesley encouraged me to pack our things and have them ready. He left at 4:30 and said he would call at 5:15 to let me know if he had room. So, I started packing all we would need for a weekend on the slopes.

As soon as I had all the bags downstairs, panic set in! I started thinking of all the things I had planned to do over the weekend. Nothing too exciting- work, laundry, the Y - but still if I got the "It's a Go" call from Wesley, I was going to have to totally switch mindsets. That is something I don't do easily.

It was 5:05 - exactly one hour after I had the first spontaneous thought. I was about to call Wesley and say forget it, when the phone rang. It was Wesley. There had been a cancellation. "There's room for both of you. Come on!" he said.

Ahh!!! I started my list of excuses..."What about Flash?"

"Covered" Wesley quickly responded. "I have already called the neighbors. They can watch him."

Um...there had to be more reasons to not go, but at the time I was drawing a blank. "Okay, then" I said much to my own surprise. "Here we come!"

In 15 minutes, I got the car packed, the laundry upstairs all situated, the living room picked up, & the trash out. (Even though it was last minute, I couldn't leave my house looking like a pigpen could I?)

As Jackson and I pulled out of the driveway, my heart was racing. What was I doing?? This was so not me! How could I change direction so fast? In less than 1 1/2 hours, I had gone from making plans for a quiet weekend alone with Jackson to packing up for a impromptu weekend get-away!

Then I remembered Wesley's little pep talk. Right after he told me we were good to go, he said, "Hey, Leanne. Just calm down. No need to panic. This will be fun and you will have a good time!"
Right. Fun, no panic, calm down. Check!

A totally confused Jackson sat in the backseat wondering what was going on. As we pulled onto GA-400, I turned to him and said, "Wow, Buddy! Look at us!!"

Now of course, as I was saying this I was also mentally writing my "To-Do" List of what had to be done when I got back into town on Sunday night. I guess somethings never change!

2 comments:

  1. Love it. I can totally relate. I am DEFINITELY not a fly by the seat of my pants kind of gal. I am super impressed at how quickly you got all of that together. It takes me a whole day to plan out and pack clothes for us to go somewhere. Glad you had fun...we need pictures of the trip...and your adorable little ski bunny of course! :) - kate

    ReplyDelete
  2. So Glad you came. It was such a wonderful surprise and made the weekend the MOST FUN! Love you! Shannon

    ReplyDelete