Monday, September 6, 2010

Food Budget

For the past 8 years, we have been on a budget. I would probably laugh at the line items of our first few budgets - the ones without kids, house payments, etc. Where exactly did our money go back then?

Oh well, now it goes to clothing, college funds, preschool... All those "fun" things that come along with children.

We do pretty well sticking to our budget in all areas but one: food. We go over each month in this one. We have tried:
  • Not eating out - that lasted about a week
  • Using the cash-only system - I always forgot to use cash
  • Fasting - just kidding!
This month, I decided to try a new approach. Last Wednesday night, I spent two hours going through my recipes, coupons, and sales papers, and I picked out 10 dinners I wanted to make over the next month.

I wrote out an extensive list with all the ingredients needs for those dinners, plus side items, breakfast and lunch foods, and snacks. Thursday morning, Jackson, Philip and I spent one and a half hours in Publix purchasing all that we needed for the main courses for the month.

My hope is that these 10 dishes (made with leftovers in mind) will last through September. The only time I want to be back in the store this month is for milk, bread and fresh fruit. These quick, inexpensive, trips will just cover us while we eat off the large shopping I did last week.

If this works, we will save some time and money as well as give me the chance to try out some recipes I have been wanting to make. Usually, I plan out my menus so last minute that I just revert to the basics - spaghetti, salad, and tacos.

I spent a lot Thursday morning, but hopefully, it will pay off in at the end of the month. I would love to stay under budget just once!

So far, Wesley has liked my little test because we have had 3 new recipes for dinner over the past week: Chicken Fried Rice; Croque Monsieur (if you have seen It's Complicated you know of this recipe!) and Beef Stroganoff Burgers.

Hands down the burgers have been the best (http://www.rachaelray.com/recipe.php?recipe_id=3121)

I will keep posting any other successful recipes as well as let you know how we did at the end of the month. Wish us luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment