Thursday, February 17, 2011

Our Beef-N-Cheddar Valentine's

It was probably our second Christmas together, the Christmas of 2000, when we had one of my favorite dates. It was Friday night, and we were doing a little holiday shopping. We decided to grab a bite to eat.

We weren’t heavy spenders but usually when we went out, it was to a sit-down restaurant (Chili’s, Green Hills Grille, Ruby Tuesdays, etc). Nothing fancy, but not low-key casual.

That night, we decided to go to Burger King. I vividly remember expressing how happy I was that we were sitting down to dinner at a fast food place. It seemed very “family” of us.

Fast-forward 10 years to Valentine’s Day 2011.

This year we didn’t do romantic. We spent our night in Buford watching a child of a friend of ours. He and Jackson played together nicely but there was a constant background noise of Philip screaming (turns out he had an ear infection). Anyways, the kids and crying “ruined the mood.” Wesley and I didn’t even eat as we corralled the kids at McDonald’s for dinner.

Once we left Buford, got the kids in bed, and looked at the clock, it was 8:30. We were tired, hungry, and had a house to pick up for a showing the next day.

Anyways, we talked and decided that I would grab Arby’s for us. It sounded good and I had coupons.

As I ordered and pulled away with the food, I laughed that after 12 years together, Wesley and I had resorted to fast food for Valentine’s Day.

It was then that I was taken back to that Christmas Dinner Date. I was right , spending Friday night at Burger King – or Valentine’s Day with take-out Arby’s – is a symbol of family.

It is proof of where we are in life and it is a reminder that one day, when we are sitting down for a nice romantic dinner without the kids, we are going to miss this!

Happy Valentine’s, Wesley. To a husband, father and friend who makes Valentine’s Day at Arby’s worth it! Thank you for the family we have and the memories we have made with all the small, special things in life!

1 comment:

  1. I remember that. What a great blog. It is a symbol of family. Thanks goes to you for being the best wife who finds the good in what most would say was a crummy Valentine's. Love you.

    ReplyDelete