Friday, July 22, 2011

Picking Blueberries

One of our yearly traditions is blueberry picking around Jackson's birthday. Usually, we head out to Blueberry Hill but this year, a family friend invited us to pick in her yard.

Wesley was in Dallas for a few days so I was looking for something fun for the boys to do. We had had a pretty lousy Thursday night and Friday morning with Philip getting sick (just something he ate!) and Jackson getting word from school that he may have been exposed to lice (he wasn't!). We were due for a fun Friday evening.

We headed out to the Dunn's house around 7:30. They asked us to come late because of the heat - good idea! The boys loved the ride to the house - the Dunn's driveways is so long and bumpy!- and they loved the hike to the Blueberry bushes.  That's about where the fun ended for Jackson. He wasn't enjoying it and trying to wrangle two boys, the heat, and blueberries was too much for me.

The blueberry bushes were so full and I was able to get a few of the delightful treats before heading back to the house. Melody hooked me up with some previously picked berries and we enjoyed a nice visit in the air conditioning!

On the trail down to the Blueberry bushes

All boy, this one found a stick and was exploring as we went.
Notice the Spiderman Bucket. When I asked Jackson if he wanted to take a bag to collect his blueberries, he went straight to his Easter Egg Basket and said can I bring this one like I used on "the hunt" This kid has one amazing memory!

Jackson found a track in the dirt. I thought it was a deer, but Jackson said, "No, deer prints have a line down the center."
Well, excuse me!
When I asked where he learned that he replied "George"
Thank you PBS and Curious George for teaching my child about animal tracks!
Showing me the track he found.
 
We had to take a picture of the track to ask Daddy what it was...he didn't know either :-)

Philip was so content to just plop down and watch me pick. Was great at the time but the bug bites he came home with (even though I layered him in bug spray) weren't pretty!

Philip started to enjoy the picking right around the time Jackson gave up!

No comments:

Post a Comment