Friday, November 21, 2008

The best job to stay home for...


Jackson and I traveled to Norcross today to visit my coworkers at Heavenly Ham for a Thanksgiving Feast. Since Jackson’s arrival, I have been working from home when ever they need an extra hand. It has been so nice. I am able to have some outside interaction and bringing home a small paycheck is great as well. I don’t make it into the office very often, but it is so nice to see everyone!

Here’s a picture of Jackson and two of my co-workers, Jean and Debbie. Thank you so much for inviting us for the Feast. We loved seeing you all!!

Even though it has only been 16 months, it seems like ages ago that I was making the daily commute to the Norcross office. In fact, it feels like a lifetime ago...

Since college, I have been blessed with three full time jobs. I started off my career with the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society planning the Nashville Light the Night Walk and Pennies for Patients program. I then moved to the University Relations office at Lipscomb University. Though it was a backwards move title-wise, it was one of the best decisions I have ever made. I loved that job so much! When we moved to Atlanta, I started working in Marketing for Heavenly Ham.

When I became pregnant, it wasn’t hard to decide that I would stay home with Jackson. It was what Wesley and I had always wanted. That said, it hasn’t always been easy. There are days when I realize it would be easier for me to go into work rather than staying at home full time! Mommy work is so different that corporate work!

Overnight, I exchanged my work clothes for jeans and a t-shirt. Instead of reading over ad campaigns, I now read "Humpty Dumpty" 50 times a day. There are no more lunch meetings at J.Alexander’s. I now go to playgroups at Chick-fil-a. And sometimes the biggest decision I make in a day is whether we should watch Handy Manny or My Friend Tiger and Pooh!

Even though the pay is not great; I can’t call in sick; and working late means tears (usually for me and Jackson!); I wouldn’t change it for the world. I am extremely blessed to be able to wake up each morning and go into my new office - Jackson's room. At this office, I am always greeted with a smile. And for some reason no matter how many times I mess up during the day, I still get kisses, hugs, laughter and endless encouragement from "my boss"

I do miss the Corporate world - I miss my coworkers, the office drama, the adrenaline rush that comes along with deadlines and feeling apart of a team. Even so, I wouldn't trade my life for anything. Knowing that I am home taking care of our son is the best job I will ever have! I'll stay home for that any day!

No comments:

Post a Comment