Friday, March 26, 2010

Hair Dryer

Ever since I can remember, my mom has used the hair dryer as more than just a styling tool. To go to sleep or drown out outside noise, she will turn on the hair dryer and let the soothing sound take her away.

It is a calming method she passed onto Emily and me (not sure if Susan is relaxed by the hairdryer sound or not). We both have been known to turn on our hair dyer and drift off.

Neither of our husbands like this little habit as going to sleep with a hair dryer on is not smart. In fact, it is “against” the warning labels on the product! But when I can’t get settled down, it works every time.

Well, I now know that my mom must have used this little trick on my son as well!

The other day, Philip was inconsolable. He wasn't hungry or wet; just unhappy. I tried everything to get him to stop crying. Finally, as a last resort, I had the idea to turn on the hair dryer. Instantly, he stopped crying and fell fast asleep.

I was happy for the quiet but had to chuckle.

Mom bragged that Philip was a great baby and such a good sleeper for her. Liar! He wasn’t a good sleeper, she just used her bag of “Mom/Mimi” tricks to get him to sleep!

Oh well, it worked!



1 comment:

  1. Your blog is too cute! I love the hair dryer idea. We always and still use white noise machines to settle our boys. If we forgot them we loved the bathroom fan.... See Jackson tomorrow and remember it is picture day.

    Mrs. Kristen

    ReplyDelete