Thursday, March 18, 2010

Poem

I went today for my 6 week postpartum appointment. I can't believe it has been 6 weeks! While waiting on the doctor, I read a poem they had framed on the wall. I loved it so much, I scribbled it down. It is called, I cried out, but it should be called The School of Motherhood...

I cried out to God
Show me your face and God sent me a child.

I learned about Surrender
as I gave way to the surges of birthing energy.

I learned Compassion
as my little one's cry pierced my heart.

I learned about Powerlessness
as I laid awake with my inconsolable infant.

I learned about Faithfulness
rocking my feverish baby day and night waiting for healing.

I learned Patience
as my child asked me to do it again just one more time.

I learned a Fierceness in love
that could take me to death to defend my sweet child.

I learned Tolerance
accepting myself enough to love my child in a fit of tantrum.

I learned Kindness
as my tears were kissed away by tiny lips.

I learned Respect
as I wondered at the profound wisdom of one so small.

I learned Humility
seeing the Divine in the eyes of my child.
God answered my cry
Know who I Am
As you love your child ~~ so it is that I love you.
by Susan Marie Doyle

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for posting this Leanne! I really enjoyed reading it. So true! Isn't it amazing what our children, at such young ages, can teach us about God? They are such gifts!

    ReplyDelete