Thursday, April 2, 2009

It's Official...

Jackson is an official ISR swimmer! And he has the trophy to prove it!

After six weeks of lessons, Jackson graduated from ISR today and I am SO PROUD! In fact, I don't think I have ever been this proud of anyone in my life.

To graduate from the ISR program, the student has to be able to perform the float-swim-float sequence while in a bathing suit, summer clothes, and winter clothes. It was amazing to watch as he instinctively knew what to do even when weighted down by 10+ pounds of wet clothes.

Now that the lessons are over, I can really reflect on how much he has accomplished. The first day he was in the water was so difficult for him and me. I watched as he became disoriented because he had no idea what to do in the water. Today, I watched as his instructor simulated a fall into the water and he automatically came to the surface and flipped over to a float. Incredible!

Just so you can have a glimpse into what he experienced the past 6 weeks, I thought I would share some pictures from his testing days.

Jackson and his fabulous teacher, Kim. Though Jackson wasn't a fan of Mrs. Kim in the water, he loved her outside the water! She was so wonderful and patient with Jackson. We will both adore her and will miss seeing her on a daily basis.
This is Skylar. Her lessons were right before Jackson's so we saw her everyday. Yesterday, when Jackson came in, Skylar came up and gave him a hug. I guess she knew he was about to test-out!
Summer Clothes Day
Though there were tons of toys by the pool, Jackson wanted to bring in his books. Here he is with a Tigger book and the story of Moses.
The facial expression seen here was what he always looked like before entering the pool. He was not a fan of the "pre-lesson" time!

Jackson is floating by himself in his Summer clothes (shirt, shorts, shoes, socks and a regular diaper)


After the lesson, Jackson was always in a better mood. Usually though, he wasn't this happy. I asked Kim why she thought he was extremely happy this day. She said it was because even he knew what he had accomplished. He was proud of himself!



Winter Clothes Day
Again, Jackson was uneasy prior to the lesson. I guess I would be too if I realized that I was going in the water with my coat on :)

Look at him float!! He did so great and when we stripped the wet, winter clothes off him, we realized he was carrying at least 10 extra pounds! Way to go, little man!


Again, Mr. Happy after the lesson.
Jackson pushed the grocery cart around everyday. I guess I should get him one as a "Congratulations" gift.

I Can Swim - Just Watch Me!!
Way to go Jackson!

1 comment:

  1. We are so proud of you, Jackson! Can't wait to see you soon!

    ReplyDelete