Saturday, April 11, 2009

Ready, Set, Run!

I am big on making New Year's Resolutions but not very good on following through with them. Seems like every year, I want to lose the same 15 pounds.

This year, I decided I was going to set specific goals and I was going to work hard to make them happen. My first resolution was to run a 5 K with Emily and Ryan in April.

I am a loyal YMCA-goer, but I avoid running at all cost. I get so bored on the treadmill , but having a goal and knowing Emily and Ryan were training with me gave me so much motivation. Every week, I would put in some time on the treadmill. I worked until I could run one mile, then two, and then finally three!

This morning was the day of the big race. We arrived an hour early to get our shirts, number and chips. It was a chilly morning but I was so excited about the race. We had a goal - complete the race without walking in under 36 minutes - and I really knew we were going to do it!

When the gun went off, Ryan took off and Emily and I set our pace. We were doing really well and all of the sudden were past Mile One. Up the hill and we passed Mile Two! Back down the hill and around the curve, and we saw Mile Three! I had my stopwatch running and was telling Emily - we are going to do this and we are going to beat our goal!

As we neared the finish line, we saw my Dad, Ryan, and Jackson cheering for us. Ryan finished in 27 minutes and was now holding Jackson. He came onto the course and handed Jackson off. I carried Jackson as Emily and I crossed the finish line. We did it!

I couldn't be prouder of all three of us. We set out to do something, and did it.

Running doesn't come easily for Emily and me. We had to push ourselves and training was challenging. On January 1 neither one of us could run one mile straight and today, we ran 3.1 miles in 34 1/2 minutes! Way to go us!



Pre-race - It was a chilly start.
Pre-race: Getting our numbers
Post Race - Emily and Ryan did a great job of encouraging each other throughout their training
Post-Race: We did it! Next year - the 10K!!!

Even Jackson was so proud!

2 comments:

  1. # 373 in that race was hot .. . or at least that's what I heard.

    ReplyDelete