Friday, December 24, 2010

Ho Ho Hospital??

Thursday night we hosted a Christmas party for the college kids from the YMCA. We had a nice turnout as you can see from this photo.

Look closely though and you will see there is one person missing from this holiday party picture – me!

Here's why...

Thursday afternoon, I started to not feel 100%. I picked up the house and called Wesley to let him know I was going to lay down with the boys. When we woke up from our naps, we went downstairs to mingle with the college kids who had arrived.

As the party went on, I started really feeling bad so I quietly excused myself and went upstairs. Wesley thought I had gone back to bed. I had gone upstairs to relax but that didn’t happen. Instead I had an unexpected visit from the stomach flu!

I felt horrible and for about 2 hours, I was running from the bed to the bathroom. I considered calling for Wesley but decided to tackle this on my own.

After awhile though, I began loosing feeling of my left hand. Weird. The feeling came back and then was gone again. I was getting a little scared.

I decided to call for Wesley. I had lost feeling in both hands and my legs were beginning to tingle.

Once Wesley got to me, I had no feeling in my arms or legs and my hands were beginning to draw up. I was scared and so was Wesley. He immediately called 911. With the ambulance on its way, my neighbors came in and grabbed the boys.

I was quickly taken to the hospital with symptoms of the stomach flu and no feeling in my extremities.

Turns out, when you are excessively throwing up, you can become dehydrated and hyperventilate. In my case, my body started reacting to the chemical imbalances of hyperventilating and started pulling in my extremities…SCARY!

They gave me fluids and some nausea medicine and released me 2 hours later.

It was one of the scariest moments on my life. Not because of pain but because I didn't know what was happening to my body. Thankfully, Wesley knew exactly what to do get me help!

My stomach flu didn't stay around long, and by Friday morning, I was feeling back to normal. Sadly, the same thing can’t be said for Wesley who was the next victim of this lovely bug!

No comments:

Post a Comment