Monday, May 17, 2010

Sunday was Baby Dedication, I think...


Several weeks ago, we learned that Philip's Baby Dedication at church would be May 16. I was so excited about this day because of all the wonderful memories I have of Jackson’s Dedication. It was a beautiful celebration.

I should have known that something would go wrong when the four of us arrived early to church Sunday. Not only were we there early, we were dressed to impress. My mom had made the boys adorable matching outfits. I was sporting a new dress, and Wesley was wearing a suit and tie.

We took our places in the second row and waited for the service to start. Jackson would join Wesley, Philip and me on stage for the dedication. I had been talking to him about his responsibility– to accept and hold Baby Philip’s new Bible – and thought he was ready for the role.

They called Philip's name and he and Wesley walked to the stage. I whispered to Jackson to follow. He had other plans. The clapping from the congregation scared him and he began crying and holding on to me for dear life. It was obvious he was uncomfortable going up there.

I had seconds to decide what to do. I could either take my place on stage with a screaming child or I could walk to the side. I chose to walk off. Thankfully, my friend Cory was sitting in the front and opened her arms for Jackson. I handed him over and walked back towards the stage.

For some reason I had in my head that Wesley had positioned himself on the far end of the stage so I walked up the stairs – concentrating on walking not on where I was going– and stopped by the tall man on the end. Right before I settled in, I looked up and saw that it wasn‘t Wesley but my friend Ben! Whoops…luckily no one noticed my mistake, and I headed over to center stage with Wesley and Philip.

I had just taken my “so glad that’s over, now let’s get on with this” breath when Philip, darling Philip, decided to show the crowd what he had for breakfast. It went all over him, all over Wesley, and ended in my outstretched hand. Gross!

I looked around for help. Kate was next to me but all she had to offer was a smile and a “we will laugh about this someday” look. Thankfully, another mom near the front went through my bags, found a burp cloth, and walked it to the stage.

I was cleaning us all off when I heard some commotion on my right. I turned and Mr. Jackson was back. He came running across the stage and I was so glad to see him. He wasn’t as glad to see me and wanted his DaDa who was holding Philip. I had to pry him off Wesley’s leg and hold onto him during the final prayer.

Once it was over and we were heading back to our seats, Jackson decided he loved being up on stage and made a grand exit jumping down each stair. Thankfully, my biggest fear – falling while in front of a large crowd – didn’t happen and we safely made it back to our row.

We sat down and contemplated keeping the boys with us during the service. We quickly thought better of it and bolted out of the auditorium with both boys.

After dropping them off at the nursery, we settled into our seats. I took a few minutes to catch my breath and realized that:

1. The whole ordeal seemed worse in my head than it actually was.

2. All the experienced moms and dads in the crowd could sympathize. Who hasn’t had their 2 year old breakdown at the worst possible moment?

Most importantly, our experience provided an excellent example for Rocky’s sermon “From Diapers to Diploma.” He worked into his speech that no matter how good all the expert books are for first time parents, even they can't tell you what to do when your baby throws up during Baby Dedication! Good Point!

After all was said and done, I have pictures to prove we were there, but really I have no recollection of anything that was said on Baby Dedication. I guess Philip’s official! What I do know, is Wesley and I are committed to bringing Jackson and Philip up in the Lord and we couldn’t be happier to have such a loving church to walk with us on this journey!

I can't believe Katey snapped this picture right as I was catching Philip's spit up!

So glad Jackson had returned...now to entertain him until we are done!

The Bender Clan after the festivities of the dedication

A proud Mommy with her boys

Philip and Mommy

I am so blessed with wonderful friends at Grace Chapel. It is so much fun to "Do Life" with these girls. Here I am with 2 special friends Katey and Kate.
Philip and Jack are 6 weeks apart. I can't wait to see them grow up and be big buddies like their brothers.

Happy Boy!

4 comments:

  1. That is hilarious!!! Also, I love your dress!!!

    Emily

    ReplyDelete
  2. love all the outfits! you are absolutely right about it being worse in your head than it really was - i think all moms think the same thing when the kids are doing the unexpected! :o) such a great ceremony to have.

    abby

    ReplyDelete
  3. Leanne - This story blog is hilarious and precious - I love it! And all 4 of you look fabulous - so dressed up and beautiful / handsome. I'm so very proud of you and Wesley and your adorable boys. Love, Lynne

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a memorable day! So proud of you all!
    Love,
    Susan

    ReplyDelete