Thursday, May 5, 2011

Happy Mother's Day

I had a mission for this afternoon – purchase, sign, and mail Mother’s Day Cards. I picked Jackson up from school and we headed off. I knew if I wanted the recipients to get them before Mother’s Day, they had to be in the mail by this afternoon.

The first place we stopped did not have a good selection, and even though Philip was in meltdown mode, I persevered and headed to Hallmark.

While in Hallmark, Jackson danced to the music station much to the enjoyment of the customers in the store, and Philip finished his meltdown. I grabbed my cards and hurried to the checkout. I inquired about stamps and they said I had to go to Office Depot next door. Oh no!

I paid the clerk while this older woman smiled and tried to keep Philip calm (didn’t work). I rushed out of the store and headed into Office Depot to get the stamps. I was over looking like I had it all together and just let Philip cry while I wrangled Jackson to stay close and purchased my stamps.

I knew better than to try to head to the post office so we went home and I put the boys down for nap. I would just write the cards while they were sleeping and then rush to the Post Office before 5 to get them mailed.

Wouldn’t you know it; they slept until 5:30! My plans were foiled!

So if you are receiving of one of our Mother’s Day cards, they will be late. I had the best of intentions. Being a Mom, though, I’ve learned kids have their own agenda and it doesn’t really matter what you have planned! Please know I was thinking of you, and I conclude with repeating what the nice owner of Hallmark said as she saw me in the midst of the chaos of the day:

“Honey, I’ve been there, but know that though the days are long; the years are so short”


No comments:

Post a Comment