Thursday, October 14, 2010

Making Memories

Everyone has an opinion about the “right” age to take a child to Disney. Take them too young and they won’t remember. Wait too long, and they will be too old for the magic. But really, is there a perfect age for Disney? Isn’t it really just about the memories?

Jackson’s first trip was when he was 2. Will he remember it? Probably not, but will I? Absolutely! What about this year? At 3, will he remember the memories we made? Maybe not, but again, the week’s events will forever be etched in my mind. His smiles at Pluto; his excitement at the pool; the joy he found with his cousins – all of these have taken a permanent spot in my memory bank.

All of this memory thinking came to my mind while we were touring Epcot. Trying to distract Jackson from the approaching hour wait for dinner, Wesley and I started walking around The Land exhibit.

I saw the revolving restaurant, and my mind was flooded with thoughts of one of the Disney trips we took while I was growing up.

I remember enjoying a character meal at this restaurant with my parents and sisters. I have no idea how old I was or what all we did on this trip, but I remember that dinner fun.

I bet if I ask my mom, she too would remember that meal, but unlike me, I bet she remembered every moment of that trip. She remembers what brought a smile to my face; what Emily found funny; what Susan loved the most. I bet she remembers and treasures it all.

Why? Because as much fun as these trips are for the kids, they are just moments of fun. They enjoy it and move on perhaps capturing a few memories for later.

But for the parents, for me as a Mom, seeing the Disney magic though Jackson’s eyes, no matter his age, produced lifelong memories of pure joy.


Our morning of rest - Thursday morning, we all stayed at the resort until lunch. Most of us played in the awesome pool. Jackson loved the water slide!

Pure Joy!

Our friends Todd and Priscilla were in Orlando this week as well. Addison and Tru came over to the pool Thursday as well and played with Jackson. Here's Addison enjoying the slide.

Heart Attack on a plate (but oh so yummy!) - funnel cake topped with ice cream!

After a morning at the pool, Jackson was asleep by lunch!

He stayed asleep as we toured around the "countries" of Epcot.

Cole and Jackson playing a video game on the floor

Private Meet and Greet
One of the perks of having a Disney Visa card is a special meet and greet for card members. We missed out on this last time, but this year, we waited in line for about 30 minutes for a special private Meet in Greet with Pluto and Mickey!

We had no idea which characters would be in the Meet and Greet, but we were all excited (especially Jackson) to see Pluto there!

And Mickey was a treat as well!

Playing the trash truck game with Cole

Look at this fun dessert - Campfire Smores complete with sprinkled marshmallows!

No comments:

Post a Comment