Tuesday, March 6, 2012

My sad morning with an injured doe...

I had a weird morning.

I was in charge of taking the boys to school today because Wesley had a training downtown. I had to head to Alpharetta for a store visit after drop off so before we could head to school, I had to get ready as well as get the boys ready.

Timing wise, we were doing great. I dropped the boys off and regrouped before heading to Alpharetta. As I pulled into the line to exit the school, I noticed the traffic had stopped. I looked around and saw a hurt deer in the yard next to the school/church. It didn't take much to realize the car in the front of the traffic jam had hit the deer. The poor animal was trying to run away but it was obvious her back legs were broken.

There were enough people around that I knew I was not needed so I backed up and decided to go out the other way. A I was about to pull out, the traffic jam broke and everyone left. I realized there was a chance everyone thought "someone else will stop" and help had not been called.

 So, I turned around. I called directory assistance and found the number for Animal Control. As I pulled up to the scene two men were examining the situation. I had been connected to the dispatcher and explained the problem. They said they would send someone.

 By the time I got off the phone, it was just me and another parent. Since the deer was in the neighbor's yard, this dad volunteered to go explain to the homeowners what happened (it was an older gentleman he spoke with and he said he would go tell his wife. He was sure she would be concerned!) Since I was willing to wait, he left and I sat there for what seemed like hours waiting on the police to show up.

15 minutes later, an officer arrived and I explained what happened. He didn't seem too happy that the driver who hit the deer was not around but he said "I'll take care of it."

 And that was it - I just left.

I am not an "animal person" but as I drove away, I couldn't help but wonder what "I'll take care of it means." Probably, what I am thinking it means is what it means, and that breaks my heart. The poor deer was so scared and helpless and I just left him in the hands of that officer.

I pulled away to head to work and received a call from my boss that I wasn't needed in Alpharetta. I was looking forward to the visit, but so glad I didn't have to go in. I ran some errands and did a few things around the house.

A I pulled back into the school to pick up Jackson and Philip, I was so scared of what I would see. Thankfully. The area where I had left the deer was bare. I can only hope someone is nursing her back to health so she can quickly get back to her "motherly duties" in the wild. The movie Bambi has nothing on the emotions I am feeling today! So sad.

No comments:

Post a Comment